Monday, April 6, 2015



I am Brisa.  I am a university student.  I am a young woman.  I have friends who I care deeply about.  I have family I love very much.  I believe in a God who loves me, cares for me, and has saved me.  

I appear to be a typical girl.  I am organized, a good student, and a creative researcher.  I have a supportive family and have been given every chance at life. 

But under the surface there is pain.  I'm not perfect.  I'm not whole.  

I was raped.  I was in an abusive relationship that last four months and that resulted in a rape.  Nothing in me was prepared for this, nothing in me wanted this, nothing in this was my fault.  I am blameless, innocent, broken, but slowly trying to put myself back together.  

This experience is not what defines me as a human being.  It is not what defines me as a woman.  It is not what defines any part of me, from all of me to the tiniest cell.  It does not define my sexuality or how I decide when and how to use it.  I am more than this, bigger than this.  It is merely a gust of wind that has swept me off my feet for a moment.  I will get back up.  The gentle breeze will come again and bring good things--it's all ready starting to.  

This has become part of my story.  It may not be of my choosing, but if there's one thing I've learned--it's if the wind blows, ride it.  

So this blog is dedicated to me learning to ride the wind--when it gusts and when it's just a breeze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment